Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Getting to Know You, Pt. 1

My boss sent me an e-mail a couple weeks ago regarding the Thai airports being shutdown and if that would scare me out of our impending move. Ok, yes it is scary. I have my reasons for going still though, and once decided, I very rarely stray.

Anyways, Thai politics can be very confusing. The basics: it's a constitutional monarchy with the world's longest reigning king, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, and the Prime Minister holds the power.

Bhumibol age 19 (he is now 81)


In December 2006, the military staged a coup, which ousted the previously reigning P.M.
Thaksin. As one of the richest men in Thailand, Thaksin was known for furthering his company's agenda while running the country as he saw fit (Jack Bauer style). Fun Fact: Thaksin sought refuge in the U.K. where he owned the Manchester City Football Club. Since his conviction this year, he was banned from re-entering the U.K.

Thaksin


His replacement, P.M. Somchai, was also banned from his position for 5 years after a court ruling of voter fraud earlier this month.

Somchai


In the end, the protests brought a lot of global media coverage to Thailand, which is not known for its free press. I am conflicted as to the impact of protesting though. While one leader is dismissed from power, the structure behind his/her ascension remains (as do supporters appointed to positions under said reign). The rural class still does not have the means to run politicians outside of the parties in power. While the seeds of mobilization have been planted many lack what Freire would deem essential for liberation, education, and what I'll add: $$$.

Sometimes I take Freire's ideology out of context because it seems undermining to say that only the educated can rule because so much common sense cannot be learned in the classroom. But this past presidential election represented his point in a very clear way. While Palin claimed street smarts, it was Obama who represented and truly understood the needs of the common citizen, and he had the educational background necessary to be an economist, commander, parent, etc. Overall leader, you get my drift.

Maybe I am just a bit jaded. Afterall, we do currently live in Illinois, which according to the FBI is the most corrupt state in the U.S.


Some posts I found interesting on the subject:
Mithran Somasundrum's quick rundown of the current history of Thai politics from his view.
Matthew Weaver posits things to come.

No comments: