Monday, May 2, 2011

Family Men

Logan and I are self-professed city kids skilled in the art of killing the most basic household plants, but I've always been proud of my dad's green thumb and love of farming.
The other day a Thai friend saw a picture of my dad and me and asked who the Chinese looking guy was. After two years of living here, people still do not believe that BOTH my parents are Thai - let alone that my father out of all people is half-Chinese. Anyway, some pics of some awesome dudes, i.e. my uncles!

Loong Bpiek is half-Scottish and my dad's older half-brother. He was wisely rocking the rain boots, which kept him from getting eaten alive by the swarm of red ants.

Na Thoy is my dad's younger brother and father to my awesome cousins Jan and Joe. He lived in Chicago for a bit when I was a kid, and all I remember was the time he tried to get me to smoke cigarettes and drive the Chevy Blazer in the Jewel parking lot. I was 5 years old.



At the horizon where the banana tree line grows begins my father's 40 rai (16 acres) - inherited when my grandmother died and the land was divided. One day I would like to conquer my fear of the country and build a house that will last for generations like the one he grew up in.

No comments: