Monday, February 9, 2009

P'Jan & P'Joe

In Thailand, when you have a sibling, cousin, friend, etc. who is older than you, you designate said person with "P" before their name. I am lucky to be one of the youngest cousins out of 40+ (all from my dad's side), so I basically assume the designation.

This is my cousin Jan, i.e. P'Jan. She is only a few years older than me.
P'Jan is pretty awesome. She used to be a travel guide, so the picture above is her in Shanghai with her little guide flag. She has traveled all over Asia and is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

P'Jan (center) in South Korea


I haven't seen her in over six years, so at some point she got her MBA. She works for HSBC now, so she can take real vacations to places like... the Maldives!

*A fun sidenote about Thais as tourists. Bathing suits are culturally inappropriate (and a waste of money), so you will find many Thais wearing full outfits (t-shirts and long shorts) at the beach. I have not decided if I will be following this rule. Perhaps I will let the size of my paunch decide!

P'Jan has a younger brother, P'Joe. P'Joe is about a year older than me (I think?) and has the same friendly spirit as his sister.

He had his first kid a few years ago.
Adorable!

1 comment:

LORI said...

Crap, it looks like I better return the gold lamé thong bikini from american apparel that I bought for you as a going away gift.