Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Room With No View?

Victory Monument, originally uploaded by Mike LaPalme.

Housing secured! My aunt is going to rent us a room in one of her buildings for 6,000Baht/mo (roughly $170 USD). It is probably very small with no real kitchen, but street food is readily available, cheap and open late! My cousin said she would snap some pictures of our new hovel for me later.


The room is near the Victory Monument BTS (Bangkok Mass Transit System) station in the center of the city. The BTS runs Bangkok's Sky Train. When I visited six years ago, the monorail was not completed. I was able to ride it once, and it was fast, clean and, more importantly, air conditioned! Hopefully being near the train will help us gain our bearings quickly, so we can graduate to other forms of public transit.




*Photos from this useful blog on Thai transportation.

Of course, let's not forget the iconic tuk-tuk...
I actually do not like riding these in Bangkok. The city is so polluted, you end up inhaling a whole lot of black smoggy smog. A lot of drivers wear masks because of the pollution. Gross!

No comments: