Anyway, I digress! While we were at my grandmother's, my aunt showed us this album of my parents wedding.
I never knew that my parents had a real wedding, so the whole album took me by surprise. Here is a selection I thought best represented what a traditional Thai wedding should look like....
The wedding is in the bride's hometown, Cha Uat.
beginning with the grandparents then parents, pour water on their hands.
This is considered the most important part of the wedding ceremony.
Whenever we've been out this past week, people have questioned whether or not both of my parents are Thai. I've had to explain multiple times that I am in fact not part white, even though I act like a farang and people keep on pointing to my nose as their evidence for my not being Thai. It is a detail that wears on me a bit because, despite their insanity, I am very proud of my parents.... You know, from afar.
I found the album very touching because it expresses a lot of things about the foundation of my parents' relationship that I'll never be able to discuss with them. Even though I hated going to visit my grandmother (you know, the trip that Logan has yet to write about), I'd like to think of this moment as the saving grace.
5 comments:
WOW! how great to see that. the photos are amazing!
so if your nose is "not thai" what makes a thai nose?
maybe they are confused because i don't have my finger up my nose picking out some green gold. ZING!
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that your grandma was ashamed of Lolo. If it were me I would've been like, "Yes! Someone to reach the high things on that shelf." But no, really, she doesn't know what she's missing by not getting to know him.
Like you said, at least you got to see something from your parent's past that you never knew about. It's weird how enigmatic and meaningful pictures can be at the same time.
Keep up the great writing! I'm learning a lot about Thailand.
so happy to hear you had that moment. Four out of four fish balls on sticks!
very classy! your mom looks super glamorous and your dad just looks happy and shy. awww.
Post a Comment