It's a cornucopia!Before we left Chicago, I was all stressed out from the moving and planning, last minute trips and goodbyes. Then we got to Krung Thep, so it was maxin' and relaxin' in some pre-arranged unemployment time! That is, until Week #3, which is officially the week I started to worry about not having a job. It's not like we're broke, but this is the longest I've been unemployed since I was 11, eep! Oh, and my mom keeps on e-mailing me with the salutation, "Did you get a job yet? Why don't you have a job? I hope you find a job soon." Plus my aunt says that she doesn't want to charge us for staying in our hovel until we find jobs, which is upping my guilt factor. Waaaahhh! Oh, and Logan doesn't want to dish on what happened in Cha Uat, so I'll have to give you a quick rundown on that later. Double waaahH!
Okay, whine session over! Let's get down to business. We've been in Thailand for almost a month now (crazy, huh?!), and I promised food pics a while ago. Let's explore in 3 categories: fruits, foods and kahnohm (the Thai word for dessert or snack).
Okay, whine session over! Let's get down to business. We've been in Thailand for almost a month now (crazy, huh?!), and I promised food pics a while ago. Let's explore in 3 categories: fruits, foods and kahnohm (the Thai word for dessert or snack).
Mongkut (mangosteen) is my absolute favorite fruit of all time! Known as the "Queen of Fruits" throughout SouthEast Asia, the hot and rainy season is the perfect time to find this deliciousness. Visitors during the American winter season will most likely miss out on prime mongkut eating, but those same visitors are most likely not as excitable about fruit as I am.
#2: Foods
Traditionally, take home street food would be wrapped in a banana leaf and/or paper. This practice is dying, as plastic + styrofoam have become more prevalent, but can still be found once in awhile...
Traditionally, take home street food would be wrapped in a banana leaf and/or paper. This practice is dying, as plastic + styrofoam have become more prevalent, but can still be found once in awhile...
After spending a few days at grandma's, Logan earned a "Rib Burger" from McDonald's. I opted for the 6 piece spicy chicken, which is actually pretty delicious... and made from real chicken (bone-in)!
It's no secret, Logan and I are frequenters of various mall food courts. Not only is the food cheap (100฿ = $2.85 meal for 2), the facilities are seemingly cleaner than eating on the street, AND the mall is air conditioned. Seriously, it's like 100°F everyday with 90% humidity!
plus Thai iced coffee + tea. This is more like a $5 meal.
Plates are 45-200฿.
While not technically a food item, Logan was excited to have his first beverage (Coke) in a plastic bag w/ice!
#3: Kahnohm (foods from the streets, sweets in my belly)
In this hot and muggy clime, Logs has found slamming down the big meals tough. Snack foods from carts, stalls, mini-marts (hello, 7-11!) and bakeries are readily available and the perfect energy boosters.
In this hot and muggy clime, Logs has found slamming down the big meals tough. Snack foods from carts, stalls, mini-marts (hello, 7-11!) and bakeries are readily available and the perfect energy boosters.








6 comments:
Logan what the hell happened in Cha Uat already?
p.s. how do they make the rice look like a bear
stop! I want fried ice cream right now.
(do they have chi chi's in BKK?)
Mongkut looks amazing....but I also feel dirty looking at the inside... ooh!
going home to sculpt a rice bear!
i bet there is a bear mold they press the rice into. maybe a used honey bear would work if you cut it in half? i would like to see your follow-up attempts at bear rice in the states. pictures please!
no chi chi's in bkk. :( the mall near our place has fried ice cream in the food court though! logan has converted to romit i.c. delicious!
what is yen ta fo? it looks kind of noodley and vegetabley but maybe something icky lurks below?
yen ta fo is a noodle dish you can get in soup or dry. there is usually some type of fish or meat in everything you eat here. the yen ta fo in the picture had several different types of fish in it (dried, fried and balled).
Post a Comment